New Delhi: As heat wave continued to intensify across north India, hospitals are reportedly seeing an increase in the number of patients suffering from heat-related ailments such as heat cramps, rashes, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. While mercury has breached 45 degrees Celcius across several places, including Delhi, temperarure touched 50.8 degree Celsius in the city of Churu in Rajasthan.
According to weather monitoring website El Dorado, eight places in India figured on the list of hottest places in the world, with Churu topping the chart. The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has warned that heat wave across North India is likely to continue for a few more days. With hospitals in Delhi reportedly witnessing at least 50 per cent rise in heat stroke cases due to extreme heat, doctors asked people to avoid sun exposure and stay indoors as long as possible to avoid falling ill.
How to prevent heat stroke during summer
Additionally, it is advisable to drink plenty of fluids and water – at least 3 to 4 liters of water everyday. Apart from this, people should increase their intake of water-rich foods and eat healthy while avoiding fast food, snack and juices kept or sold in the open areas. Health experts said the rise in the temperature coupled with people’s poor eating habits and disregard for hygiene are the main causes of illness in this season. By taking precautionary measures you can prevent or lower your risk of heat stroke.
Heat stroke, also known as sun stroke, is considered a medical emergency. Left untreated, the condition can quickly lead to multiple organ dysfunction. Heat stroke also requires quick first aid to help lower the body temperature until the patient reaches a hospital or a medical facility. It is claimed that there are a number of home remedies that can help provide quick relief from heat stroke.
Home remedies for heat stroke
Below are some simple yet effective home remedies to treat heat stroke at home:
- You can apply the juice extracted from onions on the chest, behind the ears, and under the feet. It is one of the most commonly recommended home remedies for treating heat stroke. Another way of using onion in heat stroke treatment is to drink a teaspoon of its juice mixed with some honey.
- People suffering from heat stroke can also consume the juice extracted from basil leaves (Tulsi) to get relief from the condition. Try having 2 teaspoons of the juice by adding a pinch of sugar to it.
- According to Unani scholars, people can use raw mangoes to help prevent and treat heat stroke. Take some raw mangoes, boil and soak them in cold water. Collect the pulp of the mangoes and put it in a blender. Add ingredients such as cumin seeds, coriander, jaggery, salt and pepper to the pulp. Now, blend this mixture along with some water. You can have a cup full of this delicious mixture 3-4 times a day.
- Take a few tamarind pieces and boil them for a few minutes. Strain the liquid, add a pinch of sugar or honey to enhance the taste and drink it. It is believed that tamarind can help cool down the body while providing the body with essential nutrients and electrolytes that may have been depleted by dehydration.
- Take a bunch of coriander leaves and a pinch of sugar, put them in a blender. Add some water to this mixture and blend it to extract its juice. You can keep it in the refrigerator for a few minutes and drink a glass of this juice every day during heat stroke. It is claimed that coriander can help remove the excess heat and get rid of nausea and vomiting while cooling down the body.
We hope these few tips would help you to some extent in preventing and treating heat stroke at home.