Come summer, and the skin takes a beating thanks to the harsh sun. Slay the sun damage with these tips by Shahnaz Husain:
1. Rose water is a natural toner and coolant. Keep a small bowl of rose water in the refrigerator, chilled and ready for use. Wipe the skin several times a day with it. Additionally, cucumber has astringent effects and reduces oiliness. Rose water mixed with cucumber juice may be applied on the skin to close the pores and reduce oiliness.
“Skin toners and fresheners play a crucial role in the skin care routine during summer, as they restore the normal balance and keep the pores unclogged.”
2. Allow marigold flowers to stand in warm water overnight. Add yoghurt and sandalwood paste and mix them together to make a smooth paste. Apply on the face, avoiding the lips and area around eyes. Wash it off after 20 minutes. Marigold has a soothing and germicidal effect on skin irritation and eruptions. It is ideal for all skin types.
3. A fruit pack is ideal in summer. Mix together fruits like banana, apple, papaya and orange. Apply on the face and wash off after 30 minutes. Papaya helps to cleanse dead skin cells. Banana tightens the skin. Apple contains pectin and also tones the skin. Orange is rich in vitamin C.
4. Multani mitti is a must-have in your summer skincare. To reduce oiliness in your skin, mix one tablespoon of multani mitti with rose water. Apply the paste on the face and wash it off when it dries. It also shrinks the pores and keeps the skin clear.
HAIR’S TO YOU
1. One of the best ways to protect the hair from the harsh summer sun is to cover it while out, either with a scarf, a hat or your dupatta. It’s also not a bad idea to carry an umbrella when you go out.
2. Try a tea and lemon hair rinse during summer to make the hair silky and shiny. Boil used tea leaves in six cups of water. Cool the liquid and add lemon juice. Rinse/shampoo your hair with the mixture. Use the water as a last rinse after shampoo.