New Delhi: Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic changed the way we live our lives, certain things and practices have just become the new normal. Wearing a mask, maintaining a safe distance from people in public, avoiding crowded areas, online classes, and working from home have been some of the ways we have adopted, in order to curb the spread of the virus and keep ourselves safe.
However, as we ensure we stay safe from the virus, adjusting to this way of life has not been the easiest. While some people seemed to enjoy it initially, most have now become restless, and are worried about the ill-effects of these practices. While the pandemic has had its impact on mental health, even when it comes to physical parameters, reduced physical activity, excessive binge eating, and turning to unhealthy, junk foods for snacks had taken its toll on weight management, heart health and other factors.
7 amazing morning rituals you must follow for better health as you work from home
Since mornings are the best time to do something that sets the tone for the day, here are 7 morning rituals you can incorporate in your day, especially if you are working from home. These will help you give a kick start to the day, boost energy and stay healthy overall.
- The digital detox – All of us would agree that work from home had led to extremely high screen times. Even when we are not working, we can be concerned about work emails, calls, messages, or even news about COVID-19. Therefore, a very effective morning ritual would be to go on a digital detox for at least an hour after waking up. Do not look at your phone after you wake up. Instead, spend some time in nature, take a walk, listen to music, read a book, or just enjoy your solitude.
- Breathing exercises – Breathing exercises are a great way to start your day. They help you both mentally and physically. Take in long breaths, or go the Yoga way and practice some Pranayama. It is a great way to feel energetic and ready to take on the day.
- Journal – Many people journal towards the end of the day. However, journaling the morning can also help in many ways. How is your mood when you woke up today? What do you plan on doing today? How do you want the day to go? – are some of the questions you can answer as your journal your thoughts every morning.
- Be as comfortable as you want to be – While some people believe that taking a shower, getting ready, and sitting on a desk as if you are in office is the best way to stay productive, others choose to differ. There is already a lot of pressure that people face when it comes to working from home, and adding mental pressure yourself by forcing yourself to do things you do not want, early in the morning, may not help. Wear loungewear if you want to, eat a healthy breakfast, and work. As long as you get everything done, nobody will complain.
- Workout – For a lot of fitness enthusiasts, working out early in the morning is the best way to get their day started. If you feel morning workouts are the best for your work from home schedule, then it can be a morning ritual to swear by.
- A warm cup of beverage – During the cold, winter months, a warm cup of beverage such as a hot chocolate, tea, or coffee can feel like a warm hug. It also helps you relax and has many health benefits. Make sure you consume it in the right way and the right quantity.
- Meal-preps – You can also begin your day by prepping for all your meals – which can come in the way of your work if you leave it for later on. Chopping, cooking and similar activities are also therapeutic and can help you be more mindful and stress-free. Put on some music if you want. This will keep you stress-free for the rest of the day.