New Delhi: Vitamin C is considered as a dietary supplement. It is used to prevent and treat several diseases. It is a very crucial nutrient and is essential for your body. Vitamin C is an antioxidant and is very important for your skin, bones, muscles and tissues. It helps in healing wounds quickly. Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron. It prevents the risk of getting the common cold and other similar infections. Vitamin C is a vital nutrient for the body. It is involved in body functioning processes such as the formation of collagen, proper functioning of the immune system and the maintenance of teeth. Vitamin C is also known as L-ascorbic acid. It is naturally present in some foods. The consumption of Vitamin C gives your body a sudden boost of energy and also improves your metabolism. Certain studies show that vitamin C may prevent the formation of cancer cardiovascular disease and lung diseases.
Vitamin C plays a crucial role in treating numerous health conditions. You must consume the required amount of vitamin C needed by your body to function smoothly. There are few people who may need an extra dosage of this particular vitamin such as smokers, pregnant women, people recovering from surgery, people recovering from accidents and burn victims. You can consume vitamin C either through supplements or natural foods.
5 vitamin C rich vegetables
- Broccoli – Broccoli is extremely rich in vitamin C and may lower your risk of inflammatory diseases. One should at least consume at least half a cup of broccoli. Studies have shown that eating broccoli improves your immunity and decreases the risk of heart diseases.
- Tomatoes- Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C. You can either eat crushes tomatoes or drink tomato juice according to your preference. They contain antioxidants which help in combating several diseases. It is an essential nutrient and must be consumed in the right quantities.
- Cauliflower – Cauliflower contains high amounts of vitamin C and is recommended for people who have a weak immune system. It is famous for its anti-inflammatory properties. It is a vitamin-rich vegetable and can be consumed either raw or cooked. It is also a very good source of dietary fibre.
- Bell pepper – Different kinds of bell pepper like the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, green bell pepper is rich in vitamin C. It contains nearly three times more vitamin C than any other vegetables. It provides you with your daily requirement of the vitamin. It is known to treat cardiovascular diseases and delay the formation of certain cancers.
- Spinach – Spinach has high amounts of vitamin C. 100-gram spinach contains 28mg of vitamin C. It helps in making your skin and hair healthy. It also benefits your eye health and reduces the risk of infections. Consumption of steamed spinach provides the best results.