New Delhi: Not only is lemon water delicious, but’s it’s also one of the easiest home remedies that can help treat a wide range of ailments – from a cough and cold to treating indigestion and preventing kidney stones. Perhaps, you may have been told that this vitamin C-rich beverage is one of the best drinks to boost your immune system naturally. With no specific treatment for the novel coronavirus pandemic, which is continuing its spread, getting into good habits and strengthening your immunity against viruses, including the SARS-CoV-2 that causes COVID-19, by drinking warm lemon water may help prevent or reduce your risk of contracting the disease.
How does lemon water boost your immunity against COVID-19?
Lemons are high in vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that can improve your immune system, helping your body ward off infections and diseases. The citrus fruit can also help the body absorb iron from foods and contribute to wound healing due to its high vitamin C content in it.
Research suggests that foods that contain high amounts of vitamin C and other antioxidants may help improve immunity against germs and viruses that cause the flu and common cold. Vitamin C can help support the health of your intestines and respiratory system.
For instance, a Harvard Health Publishing report stated that consuming at least 200 mg of vitamin C every day did appear to reduce the duration of cold symptoms by an average of 8 per cent in adults and 14 per cent in children. This indicates that the nutrient has modest cold prevention power. This vitamin may also help strengthen immunity in individuals undergoing extreme physical activity. In the absence of a safe and effective vaccine against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, taking steps to keep your immune system in tip-top shape especially during the pandemic is important.
Other health benefits of lemons
Lemons are an incredible fruit that has many purported benefits and uses. Some of the health benefits include:
- It can help relieve or prevent nausea.
- It may help prevent asthma.
- It may help lower the risk of ischemic stroke and high blood pressure.
- The high vitamin C content in lemons can help prevent free radicals from causing cell damage, leading to cancer.
- It strengthens the immune system.
- It can boost your metabolism and aid in weight loss.
- It improves digestion.
- It helps with iron absorption, thereby reducing the risk of anaemia.
- It may help treat or prevent kidney stones.
- It assists in the formation of collagen, which helps maintain a healthy complexion.
- Lemons also contain high levels of lutein and zeaxanthin, which can help keep your eyes healthy.
Apart from this, there are many other health claims surrounding lemon water. However, further research is required to support most of these claims.
Here’s how to make lemon water
Making lemon water is simple and easy.
- Just fill your mug with warm water and add the juice of a freshly squeezed ½ a lemon.
- You can add a dash of organic cayenne pepper, a few springs of mint, a slice of fresh ginger, a teaspoon of raw honey, etc, to boost your metabolism as well as enhance the taste.
- You can also add a few slices of other fresh citrus fruits such as lime, oranges, or cucumber.
Try sipping warm lemon water every morning to boost your immunity against coronavirus infection, and enjoy the immense health benefits listed above.