New Delhi: Fruits make up for an important food group in a balanced diet. Fresh fruits are a source of various nutrients, minerals, dietary fibre, and antioxidants. This means that they have immense health benefits, which should be availed by adding them to your regular diet. One family of fruits that needs a special mention when it comes to health benefits is berries. Berries such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries and others have many health benefits which include those for heart health, blood sugar management, weight control and others.
It is during the winter months when strawberries become abundant and readily available in most parts of India. Strawberries are a bright red, sweet and tangy fruit that has many health benefits and uses. Here are some benefits of the tasty fruit, and the many ways you can use it in your daily routine for better health.
5 health benefits of strawberries
- Rich source of antioxidants – Antioxidants help to reduce free radical activity in the body, thus helping reduce the risk of diseases. Strawberries are listed among the top 20 foods with most antioxidants. Adding strawberries to your diet can reduce your risk of metabolic disorders.
- Boost immunity – In 2020, as the world grappled with the COVID-19 pandemic, immunity-boosting became a priority for all. Strawberries are a rich source of vitamin C, the nutrient associated with immunity-boosting. Including strawberries in your diet can prepare your body to fight diseases, even COVID-19.
- Healthy skin – It is not a coincidence that all beauty brands claim to have body washes, creams, and moisturizers that contain strawberries as an ingredient. Strawberries are known for their scent, but the presence of vitamin C and antioxidants also helps to keep the skin healthy and young.
- Weight management – Strawberries are low in calories, and high in fibre. This makes them an ideal fruit to add to your diet for weight loss. When consumed as a mid-day snack, or added to fruit salads, strawberries will provide for fulness, without disturbing your aim to create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight.
- Blood sugar control – Strawberries are a natural source of sugar and can be used in the diet of diabetics as well. The high-fibre content of strawberries helps keep blood sugar under control and keeps it from rising too high.
Uses of strawberries
- Strawberries can be used as a mid-day snack.
- Strawberries can also be applied on the skin topically for a healthy glow.
- Strawberries can be made into smoothies and shakes for a wholesome breakfast meal.
- The fruit can be added to oatmeal, porridge and other healthy breakfast to increase taste, nutrition, and fibre content.