It is a widely believed fact that onion oil is beneficial for hair growth and other scalp related problems. Nutrients in the onion oil nourish the hair follicles, which increase volume, shine, and improve hair strength. The extra nutrition also minimizes breakages and thinning. As well as conditioning, using onion oil also promotes new hair growth. Onions contain dietary sulfur, which is one of the most common minerals in the body. It is needed for the adequate production of enzymes and proteins. Sulfur is also found in keratin, which is one of the components of hair. The sulfur in onion oil provides the hair with the nourishment it needs to grow. It also increases the growth phase of the hair. Also, onions have antibacterial properties, which help fight scalp infections. Further, onion, and in turn onion oil, contains antioxidants which protect the body from free radicals. Free radicals contribute to the ageing process. For example- destroying hair follicles and thinning and loss of hair.
Therefore, not just hair fall, onion oil can prove to be the one-stop solution to a variety of hair problems. It can help you fight many hair problems like frizzy hair, thin hair, dry hair, dull hair, and damaged hair. Moreover, it is very easy to prepare onion oil at home. Here is a quick and easy recipe for onion oil.
Recipe for Onion Oil
1. Take onions and make juice putting them in the electric juice extractor. Onion juice should be 32 parts. For example, you can take 3.2 Kg fresh onion juice for making 800 grams of oil. 2. Take onions in a grinder and make a paste. 1 part of onion paste is required. For example, you can take 100 grams onion paste for making 800 grams oil.
3. Now, take a saucepan and pour sesame oil or coconut oil in it.
4. Also, pour onion juice in the oil and add onion paste in the oil. Mix it well.
5. Turn on the gas and place the pan with the mixture.
6. Let it boil. After getting the first boil, reduce the heat. Simmer it until oil remains. Stir the mixture frequently.
7. After that, remove the pan from heat and leave it for few hours to cool down.
8. Then take a cheesecloth and strain the oil through it.
9. Your onion oil is ready to use. Preserve it in an airtight container.
Other foods to eat for healthy hair
Applying onion oil alone won’t do the trick. Eating right is also essential to get healthy hair. Here are a few foods that promote healthy hair.
Eggs: Eggs are a great source of protein and biotin that may promote hair growth. They are also a great source of zinc, selenium and other nutrients. This makes them one of the best foods to consume for optimal hair health.
Berries: Berries are loaded with beneficial compounds and vitamins that may promote hair growth. This includes vitamin C, which has strong antioxidant properties. Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron from the diet. Low iron levels may cause anaemia, which has been linked to hair loss.
Spinach: Spinach is a healthy green vegetable that is loaded with beneficial nutrients like folate, iron, and vitamins A and C, all of which may promote hair growth. Spinach is also a great plant-based source of iron, which is essential for hair growth.
Sweet Potato: Sweet potatoes are a great source of beta-carotene. The body converts this compound into vitamin A, which is linked to good hair health. Vitamin A could also speed up the rate of hair growth and encourage the growth of thicker hair.
Nuts and Seeds:Nuts provide a wide variety of B vitamins, zinc and essential fatty acids. A deficiency in any of these nutrients has been linked to hair loss. Seeds deliver a massive amount of nutrients with relatively few calories. Many of these nutrients may also promote hair growth. These include vitamin E, zinc and selenium.
Quick salad recipe for healthy hair
Here is a quick recipe for a salad prepared by some of the above mentioned ingredients. It has a number of health benefits, is rich in nutrients, and will definitely help you in obtaining healthy hair.
2 boiled Eggs (cut into pieces) or 50 gm. boiled chickpeas
50 gm. spinach leaves (boiled, strained and chopped)
1 sweet potato (roasted and cut into pieces)
½ cup chopped nuts-almonds and walnuts
½ cup seeds-flax, chia, pumpkin.
Salt, pepper and lemon juice
1. In a mixing bowl, put all the ingredients together.
2. Drizzle a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper for seasoning, and a dash of lemon juice.
3. Mix well and your salad is ready to eat.