New Delhi: The truth is that no single food is called as a ‘superfood’. But ensuring the combination of nutrient-dense foods in our daily routine can definitely make our food ‘superfood’. Women, moms in particular, have become superwomen by developing a task to manage multiple things single-handedly. And while taking care of her family she always tries to keep herself aware of the latest updates on health and nutrition.
On International Women’s Day, Ms Rasika Parab, HoD, Nutrition Therapy, Fortis Hospital, Mulund, lists 10 superfoods that every mom can add to her daily routine to ensure that the whole household enjoys a nutritious meal each day.
10 superfoods women should add to their diets
- Fresh fruits and vegetables: Seasonal, colourful and locally available fruits and vegetables add plenty of antioxidants to your diet. Antioxidants don’t only improve your immunity but also help in fighting against some serious diseases, including cancer. Fruits and vegetables are natural sources of vitamins. Also, they add essential fibres to your diet to keep your gut healthy.
- Wholegrains and cereals: Wholegrains like jowar, ragi, oats, bajra contain complex carbohydrates, which helps you keep your weight under control. They lower the glycemic index of your meal and, hence, they’re highly recommended for the diabetic, obese and prediabetic population.
- Milk: Milk is the most important source of calcium. It’s extremely essential to keep your bones healthy. Including milk and milk products lowers the risk of osteoporosis especially in post-menopausal women.
- Curds: Curd is a natural probiotic which helps cleanse your digestive system. It is also extremely essential in treating recurrent acidity and peptic ulcers.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, flax seeds are the richest sources of omega-3 fatty acids. They help improve good cholesterol and keep your heart healthy.
- Sprouts and legumes: Not just they are an excellent vegetarian source of protein, but sprouts and legumes are also packed with various minerals and vitamins like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folate, manganese, phosphorus, etc.
- Soybean: Soybeans have multiple health benefits especially for women as they are rich in antioxidants and isoflavones. These properties of soybean protect us from the risk of osteoporosis, hormone-related cancers. Soybeans are also very effective in treating PCOD.
- Ghee/oils: Including an appropriate amount of healthy fats in your daily meal not only makes it delicious but also aids many health benefits. Dietary fat helps in the absorption of vital micronutrients like calcium, Vitamin D. It’s essential to eat good quality and quantity of fats to maintain good skin and bone health.
- Fish: Fish are the richest source of omega-3 fatty acids that have many cardiovascular health benefits. Steamed/grilled or curry, including fish in your diet can boost your health.
- Water: Hydration is key to good health. Drinking enough water cleanses your system and keeps your kidneys in good health. Also, it keeps your skin healthy. Being well-hydrated also improves the quality of sleep. What’s more, water is an excellent alternative to calorie-containing beverages, making it the best drink for weight loss.